NIHR/HEE Consultant Physiotherapist and Clinical Reader
Dr Morrissey has over 25 years experience of working in sports and exercise medicine. He completed an MSc at University College London in 1998 and a PhD in 2005 at King’s College London. He is now an NIHR/HEE consultant physiotherapist and clinical reader in sports and musculoskeletal physiotherapy at Bart's and the London NHS trust / BL School of Medicine and Dentistry, QMUL.
He is a fellow of the HEA and provides clinical leadership to the intercalated BSc and MSc in sports and exercise medicine. He runs the Human Performance Laboratory. He has gained more than £5m in research funding, with a third as lead applicant, and has authored ~ 60 peer reviewed full papers. His main research interests are tendinopathy, evidence translation and the link between movement and pathology. His sporting passion is paralympic sport, and he was a headquarters physiotherapist for London 2012 and Rio 2016.
Summary of Research
My overarching career objective as a clinical academic is to combine the best of educational, clinical and research practice in order to develop and deliver high-quality evidence-based physiotherapy for patients with musculoskeletal disorders. The link between movement and pathology, tendinopathy, clinical reasoning and education are particular interests.
Members of the Group
Research staff: Dr Jose Inacio Salles Neto (Senior Fellow), Dr Ola Birn-Jeffrey (lecturer and analyst).
PhD students: Mr Jack ShihFan Tu, Ms Bairu Zhang, Mr Igor Sancho, Mr Bradley Neal.
Previous PhD students: Dr Saira Chaudhry, Dr Victoria Tzortziou-Brown, Dr Paulina Kloskowska, Dr Simon Lack, Dr Colm Daly, Dr Princess Chineye Udeze.
For a full list of publist publications click here
1. Kloskowska, P., Morrissey, D., Small, C., Malliaras, P., Barton, C. (2016) Movement Patterns and Muscular Function Before and After Onset of Sports-Related Groin Pain: A Systematic Review with Meta-analysis December 2016, Volume 46, Issue 12, pp 1847–1867
2. Tzortziou, V., Morrissey, D., & Underwood, M. Professional interventions for general practitioners on the management of musculoskeletal conditions. The Cochrane Library, 2016. 10.1002/14651858.cd007495.pub2
3. Barton CJ, Lack S, Hemmings S, Tufail S, Morrissey D The ‘Best Practice Guide to Conservative Management of Patellofemoral Pain’: incorporating level 1 evidence with expert clinical reasoning (2015) BJSM 49(14), 923-934 doi:10.1136/bjsports-2014-093637
4. Waugh CM, Morrissey D, Jones, E, Riley GP, Langberg H and Screen HRC. In vivo biological response to extracorporeal shockwave therapy in human tendinopathy. e Cells and Materials Journal - Manuscript ID eCM-Nov-2014-OA-0157.R2
5. Joseph C, Morrissey D, Abdur-Rahman M, Hussenbux A, Barton C. Musculoskeletal triage: A mixed methods study, integrating systematic review with expert and patient perspectives. (2014) Physiotherapy Dec 100(4):277-89
6. Morrissey D, Nutt JL, Mehdian R, Maffulli N. The intercalated BSc in sports and exercise medicine at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2013 Aug 11;3(3):190-195. PMID: 24367778
7. Malliaras P, Kamal B, Nowell A, Farley T, Dhamu H, Simpson V, Morrissey D, Langberg H, Maffulli N, Reeves N. Patellar tendon adaptation in relation to load-intensity and contraction type. Journal of Biomechanics 46, Issue 11, 26 July 2013, Pages 1893-1899 doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.04.022.
8. Rowe V, Hemmings S, Barton C, Malliaras P, Maffulli N, Morrissey D. Conservative management of mid-portion Achilles tendinopathy: a mixed methods study, integrating systematic review and clinical reasoning. Sports Medicine 2012; 42 (11): 941-967
9. Morrissey D, Graham J, Screen H, Sinha A, Small C, Twycross-Lewis R, Woledge R. Coronal plane hip muscle activation in football code athletes with chronic adductor groin strain injury during standing hip flexion. Man Ther. 2012 Apr;17(2):145-9.
10. Morrissey D, Morrissey MC, Driver W, King JB, Woledge RC (2008) Manual landmark identification and tracking during the medial rotation test of the shoulder: An accuracy study using three-dimensional ultrasound and motion analysis measures. Manual Therapy, Volume 13, Issue 6, Pages 529-535
11. Chan O, O’Dowd D, Padhiar N, Morrissey D, King JB, Jalan R, Maffulli N, Crisp T(2008) High volume image guided injections in chronic Achilles tendinopathy. Disability and rehabilitation Vol. 30, No. 20-22, Pages 1697-1708 1080/09638280701788225